Kinesiology explores the principles and theories related to fitness and the human body — from the basics of biomechanics to exercise physiology
In this program, students learn to create and implement fitness programs, diagnose injuries, and design rehabilitation plans. Most students select this degree with the goal of helping people in the area of fitness, sports, medicine, and other related fields.
The Department of Kinesiology hosts five tracks of study. Each track offers a different area of emphasis, allowing you to focus your studies in topics that interest you the most.
- BA with a Major in Kinesiology provides a foundation in the physiological and mechanical aspects of the human body.
- BA with a Major in Kinesiology with Athletic Training Emphasis explores principles of injury prevention and rehabilitation. This track qualifies you to sit for the Texas athletic training licensure test and prepares those interested in National certification for graduate school.
- BA with a Major in Kinesiology with Pre-Occupational Therapy Emphasis provides students with the appropriate academic prerequisites to apply for entrance into graduate Occupational Therapy programs in the state of Texas and nationwide.
- BA with a Major in Kinesiology with Pre-Physical Therapy Emphasis explores the identification, correction, and prevention of acute or prolonged movement dysfunction. This track prepares you to apply to physical therapy school.
- BA with a Major in Kinesiology with Sports Management Emphasis prepares business-minded students for careers in sports marketing, facility management and planning, human resources, strategic planning, sport finance and facility design.